Re: more on 14.0-1 viavoice and rh7.1 on dell latitude

Have you tried the Alsa sound drivers at http://www.alsa-project.org/
to find out whether any of them supports your sound hardware? If they
do, it might be worth trying Alsa instead of OSS.

I have heard mixed reports regarding the interaction of Alsa with
Viavoice, and I am not sure what the ultimate outcome was; but it
might well be worth trying if you think, as seems likely under the
circumstances, that it is a sound driver issue.