Re: emacspeak speech server

>I have still not really understand the fact that for using a TTS
synthesiser
>with Emacspeak I need a speech server.
>Can somebody explain me what is call a speech server and how it
>interact between Emacs, Emacspeak, and the TTS synthesiser (eg Festival or
>DECTalk)

You need a speech server, because Emacspeak does not directly control the
TTS engine, but rather sends the text, which should be spoken to the speech
server, which then controls the TTS engine. More technically, the speech
server gets started as a background process, when Emacs starts off and
receives the text via stdin and sends it to the speech synthesizer.

Best regards,
Gerhard Stenzel