Re: emacspeak speech server

We mean "speech server" as a piece of software, in this case. It's rather
like what Windows people might call a driver.

Think about it this way. Each device is a little different--even if it's a
software device, and not a hardware device. How, then, is Emacspeak
supposed to control the device, if each one is a little different?
Obviously, it needs to have a special set of rules and procedures just for
each particular device. This is the speech server.

I believe you were wanting to use Festival with Emacspeak. Well, no one
has written that server yet. That's why you were invited to have a go at
it.

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, M. Eng wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have still not really understand the fact that for using a TTS synthesiser
> with Emacspeak I need a speech server.
> Can somebody explain me what is call a speech server and how it
> interact between Emacs, Emacspeak, and the TTS synthesiser (eg Festival or
> DECTalk)
>  Thanks in advance
> ---
> Latyr Jean-Luc FAYE
> http://faye.cjb.net                         #L'AfroCelte
> http://eaccess.rince.ie/_latyr/      #Research  on Web Accessibility

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@xxxxxxxxxxx		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp