Works from xterm, not in non-X term

Hello:

I have a curious problem.  I have managed to get emacspeak working on my
Debian woody system with the DECtalk software (following various bits of
advice in this list's archives - thanks!), but it only works when I launch
emacspeak from an xterm in X; when I launch from an ordinary terminal,
emacs comes up and reports that everything is working, but there's no
sound.  Any ideas?

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@xxxxxxxxxxx
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*