Re: emacspeak causes gnus not to work

The problem is the emacspeak.sh shell script uses the -q switch to
turn of loading of init files, but also looks for a .emacs file in the
users home directory and loads it explicitly with the -l switch - this
is why your .emacs is not being ignored, but possibly other init files
are.

I'm not sure why the script is like this - personally I don't use
it. Maybe Raman can enlighten us as to the rationale for doing this -
perhaps emacspeak works better if emacspeak is loaded before local
init files?

Tim

 John> But, my .emacs file is not being ignored, so I don't understand
 John> why the .gnus file is so special?

 John> On 19 May 2003, Nath wrote:

 >> After searching during a long time, I discovered that if we want
 >> the .gnus file to be considered when launching Emacspeak we must
 >> erase the "-q" option which is written in the emacspeak starting
 >> script. The reason : when emacs is started with the "-q" option
 >> (as in the emacspeak starting script) the initialization files are
 >> ignored.  Hope this help !
 >>

 >> John Covici <covici@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
 >>
 >> > Emacspeak 18.0 causes gnus to (apparently) not obey some
 >> variables in > my .gnus file -- at least the gnus-select-method is
 >> wrong.
 >> >
 >> > Any assistance would be appreciated.
 >> >
 >> > --
 >> > John Covici > covici@xxxxxxxxxxx

 John> -- John Covici covici@xxxxxxxxxxx

 John> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address
 John> on the emacspeak list send mail to
 John> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
 John> "unsubscribe" or "help"

--
Tim Cross
Senior Analyst/Programmer

We cause accidents."                             -Nathaniel Borenstein