Re: emacspeak causes gnus not to work

The shell script  was never intended to be the primary way of running
emacspeak,
but rather as a means for novice users to start emacspeak.

Emacspeak files need to be loaded before *anything* else for Emacspeak
to have a  prayer of working.

And anyone who is using gnus doesn't count as a novice user in my
emacs book.

The recipe for starting emacspeak from one's .emacs has been posted
numerous times on this list --

    Tim> The problem is the emacspeak.sh shell script uses the -q
    Tim> switch to turn of loading of init files, but also looks for a
    Tim> .emacs file in the users home directory and loads it
    Tim> explicitly with the -l switch - this is why your .emacs is
    Tim> not being ignored, but possibly other init files are.

    Tim> I'm not sure why the script is like this - personally I don't
    Tim> use it. Maybe Raman can enlighten us as to the rationale for
    Tim> doing this - perhaps emacspeak works better if emacspeak is
    Tim> loaded before local init files?

    Tim> Tim

    John> But, my .emacs file is not being ignored, so I don't
    John> understand why the .gnus file is so special?

    John> On 19 May 2003, Nath wrote:

    >>> After searching during a long time, I discovered that if we
    >>> want the .gnus file to be considered when launching Emacspeak
    >>> we must erase the "-q" option which is written in the
    >>> emacspeak starting script. The reason : when emacs is started
    >>> with the "-q" option (as in the emacspeak starting script) the
    >>> initialization files are ignored.  Hope this help !

    >>> variables in > my .gnus file -- at least the
    >>> gnus-select-method is wrong.

    John> -- John Covici covici@xxxxxxxxxxx

    Tim> -- Tim Cross Senior Analyst/Programmer Applications Group -
    Tim> Information Technology University of New England Phone: +61 2
    Tim> 6773 3210 Fax: +61 2 6773 3424 E-Mail:
    Tim> tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx Web:
    Tim> http://www.une.edu.au/itd/systems/systems.html --- Please
    Tim> avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.  See
    Tim> http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

    Tim> "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most
    Tim> experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're
    Tim> computer professionals.  We cause accidents."  -Nathaniel
    Tim> Borenstein

T. V. Raman:  PhD (Cornell University)
IBM Research: Human Language Technologies
Architect:    Conversational And Multimodal WWW Standards
Phone:        1 (408) 927 2608   T-Line 457-2608
Fax:        1 (408) 927 3012
Email:        tvraman@xxxxxxxxxxx
WWW:      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman
AIM:      TVRaman
PGP:          http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman.asc
Snail:        IBM Almaden Research Center,
              650 Harry Road
              San Jose 95120