Re: update on speech server issue

I suspect the problem is that the server is not being maintained and
has not kept up with changes in the emacpseak interface to the tcl
script. I know this is a problem with the double talk synth.

Fixing this may be quite easy. If the server for the synth you want to
use has been implemented like the double talk. the problem is that the
dectalk express control codes are not being stripped out correctly. I
believe this is because the format of the codes has changed and the
secton of the server which stripps the codes using regexp is not
matching correctly.

If this is the case, then all that would be required is to fix up the
code to match the current codes.

An alternative is to write a new server, which isn't that
difficult. In my Cepstral server, I've included a generic-voices.el
file which can be used so that emacspeak sends just basic commands
without the codes to switch voices etc. Writing a tcl script to take
this input and pass it to a hardware synth would be very easy - the
only downside is that you loose voice lock support (I don't know if
the synth you want to use has multiple voices - if it doesn't, then
you have lost nothing).

If all of this is too much, I'd suggest using something like eflite -
the voices may not be as good as a hardware synth, but are quite ok
once you get used to them.

alternatively, pay around $90US and purchase the software dectlak.

Tim