non-curses terminal emulator?

I think what is really needed is for John to give a clearer
description of what he wants to do and then we can work out the best
solution. I suspect there is a bit of misinformation and assumption
clouding the real issue. For example, if John is connecting directly
via a serial connect, the quesiton is why? If its because he need to
connect via a serial connection because some servers only provide a
serial console connection when they boot or if they are having
difficulty booting, then we need to see if some sort of getty is
required and ssh won't do. However, we can probably find other
solutions.

I too think the ncurses may be a slight bit of misdirection - but
really we need John to provide more info.

Tim