Re: w3 issues

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Thu, 2006 Jun  8 09:49 UTC
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.64 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.8)

Emacspeak 24.2    Emacs Lisp sources for Emacspeak last modified on
                   9:56 UTC, Thursday,  8 June 2006

started with

      /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -q --no-blinking-cursor \
      -fn '-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--20-200-75-75-C-100-ISO8859-1' \
      -l /usr/local/src/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el

Robert D Crawford <rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

    I want to try w3 ...
    http://www.newsforge.com/ ...
    this page will not render. ...

The Web page did not render when I evaluated my usual 190 line W3
segment (that includes comments) but when I got rid of the last 140
lines (and started a new instance of Emacspeak), the page rendered
although I did receive an error message that said:

    error in process sentinel: Cannot determine image type

I set the load-path to include the W3 code and the url-cache-directory
and the w3-default-homepage.

Also, I required 'w3-auto and set both the max-lisp-eval-depth and the
max-specpdl-size to 10000.  (I don't know whether the latter two
settings are needed or whether they are a left over from some CVS
version of Emacs, not Emacspeak, from several years ago.)

W3 is very slow.  In two different other instances, W3M rendered the
same page more quickly.  (In one instance, I loaded my customized
material; in the other, just the load-path and the w3m-home-page.
Also, I loaded "w3m".)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    bob@xxxxxxxxxxx                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8