Re: Alternatives to VM for mail

Hi Tim,

Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I was just wondering if anyone is using either gnus or mew for reading
> mail under emacs and emacspeak?

I use gnus for mail/news/rss.

> At this stage, my choice is between gnus and mew. Some time ago (years
> in fact) I tried out gnus for mail. I use it regularly for newsgroups,
> but had some issues with it as a mail reader when I last tried it out
> about 8 years ago. Therefore, I thought I'd try out mew.

I can't speak on mew, but I don't think I am having any issues with
gnus, using it to access my pop mail.  I use fetchmail to bring the mail
into my local spool and don't have anything between my spool and gnus
such as procmail or some spam solution.  I have also set gnus up to use
imap for a rather short period of time and I seem to remember that it
was no problem.

> There is a way to go before it would be as voice friendly as VM, but
> the results so far are quite encouraging.

On a related topic, if there is anything missing from gnus that vm has,
let me know and I will look into implementing it as I have a little
time.  I have been adding stuff as I have had the need, but I am sure
that there are features that I just don't know I need.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

Doctors and lawyers must go to school for years and years, often with
little sleep and with great sacrifice to their first wives.
		-- Roy G. Blount, Jr.