Re: Auditory Icons: How necessary are they?

Hello Zachary,

Zachary Kline <zkline@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I am going to answer / comment in reverse here...

> I'm just wondering how important they are, and if they can be played
> externally?  I don't see a way to do it.  Thanks in advance,

I don't find them necessary at all.  I tried them for a bit and stopped
after less than a day.  Others, I am sure, find them so completely
useful that they would be lost without them.  Everywhere I can think of
that there is advice for functions that include auditory icons there is
also a spoken message or a beep (which is something completely
different).  If you do find that some commands give you no feedback when
not using auditory icons you might want to mention it on the list so
that it can be examined.

As far as playing them externally, I am not sure what you are referring
to.

> 	This is just a question on the subject of auditory icons.  I
> have a somewhat unusual setup which precludes me playing them easily.

If you do decide that you want to try them, you might describe your
set-up and see if anyone here can help.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

Worlds are conquered, galaxies destroyed -- but a woman is always a woman.
		-- Kirk, "The Conscience of the King", stardate 2818.9