Re: Auditory Icons: How necessary are they?

Well, my setup is this:
I have a system which doesn't have its own sound card--the reasons for
this can be found in an earlier post of mine, but suffice to say that
I'm not technically using 'real Linux'.  It's a very, very good
emulation thereof.
As a consequence, I have the Enlightened Sound Daemon, and a program
from that package called esddsp.  That is what I use to route packets to
the machine I happen to be on for sound.
I'm having trouble getting the icons to play using the default methods,
and if they're unnecessary I won't worry so much.  Either way, I hope
this information is a bit of explaination for some, at least.
Any questions, feel free.
Yours,
Zack.