From: gary fox <garyfox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Emacspeak with doubletalk LT. "process speaker not running" on
gentoo
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 21:27:13 -0600

HELLO ALL:

I have burned up the net wires trying to find an answer to what is
probably a simple problem (just not simple to me!)

Emacspeak with doubletalk LT. "process speaker not running"

Any suggestions to try to get this thing running are welcomed... I am
trying to set up a computer for my blind father.

Gentoo distribution with the following software
kernel version 2.6.18
emacs version 21.4
emacspeak version 24
emacspeak-ss version 1.9.1

Initial problem was "The speech server is not running".
per suggestions on emacspeak forum thread to "problems with emacspeak
installation on gentoo" (2004) question I did the following.

Modified emacspeak in /usr/bin by adding the following lines
export DTK_PROGRAM=doubletalk
export DTK_PORT=/dev/ttyS0
unset DTK_TCL

Modified doubletalk in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/servers
set permissions to make executable. (chmod 755)
added first line:
#!/usr/bin/tclsh

error changed to "process speaker not running" and it looks as if the
speach server is running.

again following some suggestions from that forum I did the following.
to check permissions on /dev/ttyS0 did the following
stty -F /dev/ttyS0 sane
echo "Happy happy joy joy" > /dev/ttyS0
and the doubletalk worked!!!! while in root

added standard user to group uucp and now works with normal user.

However once running emacspeak still get the same error and
doubletalk will not work with the echo command without first running
the stty command which tells me somehow emacspeak is changing the ttyS0
setting

I tried running strace per some other suggestions and quickly determined
I am in over my head. Help!