emacspeak and emacs 22 GTK bug?

Hi Raman,

commenting out the advice for global-set-key fixed the problem. However, then
the same problem was exposed with local-set-key. I commented that out as well
and now there are no errors during startup with emacs 22 GTK+ version.

I will try using this version for a while and see how it goes. Do you want me
to post you a patch or will you just comment out those two advice definitions
from emacspeak-advice.el?

Tim

T. V. Raman writes:

 > Try commenting out the advice definition in emacspeak-advice.el,
 > compile, and restart emacs-gtk.
 >
 > I've got no idea why only emacs-gtk bombs but it would be  good
 > to start by first taking out the redundancy.

 >     Tim> Today I tried to install emacspeak on a machine where
 >     Tim> the default emacs is the GTK version of emacs. However,
 >     Tim> there appears to be a problem with the advice emacspeak
 >     Tim> provides for global-set-key. The system goes into an
 >     Tim> infinite loop on startup and bombs out once the maximum
 >     Tim> eval depth has been exceeded. The following backtrace is
 >     Tim> created
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Lisp nesting
 >     Tim> exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'")
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer)
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer)
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer)
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer)
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer)
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer) ....
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> I've cut out most of the backtrace as its many many
 >     Tim> lines of this form. Its weird to get this only with the
 >     Tim> GTK version of emacs 22. I've confirmed it works
 >     Tim> perfectly with the non-GTK version. I've also confirmed
 >     Tim> the problem doesn't occur when not running emacspeak and
 >     Tim> the GTK version.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> I looked at emacspeak and found that there is two sets
 >     Tim> of before advice being created which appear to do the
 >     Tim> same thing. The first one in emacspeak-advice.el is very
 >     Tim> straight forward and just provides spoken prompt for the
 >     Tim> interactive use of global-set-key. The second one is a
 >     Tim> macro that is (I think) used to achieve roughly the same
 >     Tim> thing, but in a more generic manner. It is in
 >     Tim> emacpseak-fix-interactive.el.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> Around 12 months ago or more, I did run emacs 22 GTK
 >     Tim> version with emacspeak with no problems. So, I guess its
 >     Tim> either something that has changed in emacspeak or the
 >     Tim> GTK version of emacs 22.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> I will overcome this problem by installing the standard
 >     Tim> emacs 22 version. I just wanted to report this in case
 >     Tim> anyone else is thinking about trying the GTK version and
 >     Tim> for Raman's reference. If someone already has a fix, I'd
 >     Tim> be interested. However, as GTK doesn't really offer
 >     Tim> anything to me that the standard version doesn't already
 >     Tim> provide, it falls into the category of low priority
 >     Tim> IMO. I'm mainly reporting it so that there is a record
 >     Tim> in the archives and just in case Raman is interested. It
> [...]

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.