emacspeak and emacs 22 GTK bug?

Well, it didn't take long to discover more problems. I'm beginning to suspect
there is a problem witht he GTK version of emacs 22 and how it implements
advice.

I'm finding the same error on any function that has more than one piece of
advice defined for it. It doesn't seem to matter what mixture of before, around
or after advice and its not restricted to emacspeak. I'm getting the same error
with advice I have defined that is not part of emacspeak.

I will check the emacs 22 bug database, try to come up with a simple test case
and submit a bug to the emacs 22 maintainers.

Tim

T. V. Raman writes:

 > Try commenting out the advice definition in emacspeak-advice.el,
 > compile, and restart emacs-gtk.
 >
 > I've got no idea why only emacs-gtk bombs but it would be  good
 > to start by first taking out the redundancy.

 >     Tim> Today I tried to install emacspeak on a machine where
 >     Tim> the default emacs is the GTK version of emacs. However,
 >     Tim> there appears to be a problem with the advice emacspeak
 >     Tim> provides for global-set-key. The system goes into an
 >     Tim> infinite loop on startup and bombs out once the maximum
 >     Tim> eval depth has been exceeded. The following backtrace is
 >     Tim> created
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Lisp nesting
 >     Tim> exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'")
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer)
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer)
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer)
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer)
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer)
 >     Tim> ad-Orig-global-set-key([f7]
 >     Tim> planner-create-task-from-buffer) ....
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> I've cut out most of the backtrace as its many many
 >     Tim> lines of this form. Its weird to get this only with the
 >     Tim> GTK version of emacs 22. I've confirmed it works
 >     Tim> perfectly with the non-GTK version. I've also confirmed
 >     Tim> the problem doesn't occur when not running emacspeak and
 >     Tim> the GTK version.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> I looked at emacspeak and found that there is two sets
 >     Tim> of before advice being created which appear to do the
 >     Tim> same thing. The first one in emacspeak-advice.el is very
 >     Tim> straight forward and just provides spoken prompt for the
 >     Tim> interactive use of global-set-key. The second one is a
 >     Tim> macro that is (I think) used to achieve roughly the same
 >     Tim> thing, but in a more generic manner. It is in
 >     Tim> emacpseak-fix-interactive.el.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> Around 12 months ago or more, I did run emacs 22 GTK
 >     Tim> version with emacspeak with no problems. So, I guess its
 >     Tim> either something that has changed in emacspeak or the
 >     Tim> GTK version of emacs 22.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> I will overcome this problem by installing the standard
 >     Tim> emacs 22 version. I just wanted to report this in case
 >     Tim> anyone else is thinking about trying the GTK version and
 >     Tim> for Raman's reference. If someone already has a fix, I'd
 >     Tim> be interested. However, as GTK doesn't really offer
 >     Tim> anything to me that the standard version doesn't already
 >     Tim> provide, it falls into the category of low priority
 >     Tim> IMO. I'm mainly reporting it so that there is a record
 >     Tim> in the archives and just in case Raman is interested. It
> [...]

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.