Re: Emacspeak in .emacs VS. emacspeak script

zkline@ writes:

> What is everybody's personal opinion on putting a load statement in
> .emacs to bring up Emacspeak automatically?  This contrasted with the
> provided emacspeak script?  Is it better for the latter, or the former,
> or is there no difference?

I don't really have time to check the archive but Dr. Raman spoke on
this sometime in the past.  The script is not for permanent use, as far
as I can remember.  Here is what I have in th efirst few lines of my
.emacs:

(load-file "~/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el")

(add-hook 'emacspeak-startup-hook
	  (function (lambda ()
		      (emacspeak-pronounce-load-dictionaries "~/.emacspeak/.dictionary"))))

not sure if that second bit is necessary, but I included it in the file
for some reason, presumably.

One thing you might have to address came up a few months ago.  Depending
on the speech server you are using, you might have to restart the server
at the end of everything loading.  I have the following line at the end
of my .emacs

(tts-restart)

which does the trick.

> I've noticed that I can't readily customize with the emacspeak
> script--for some reason customize refuses to save changes.  Thanks,
> Zack.

I cannot remember why the -q option is used in the startup of emacs.  I
am starting emacs from my .xsession script and the only option I use is
--debug-init, because I regularly make changes to my .emacs.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

Coincidences are spiritual puns.