Dectalk USB in serial mode

Hello,
	I've begun trying to get the Dectalk Express server to work with
my Dectalk USB in serial mode.  Apparently, it is a fully
backwards-compatible synthesizer--but I'm having trouble.  The Dectalk
USB is loaded with the latest firmware, but Emacspeak is behaving
strangely when I start it up.
	One of the most frequent errors it gives is 'Command error in
parameter', or 'Error in command', particularly when I move point over a
blank line--isn't it supposed to beep in that case?
	Also, the synthesizer routinely says 'space' every time I type a
letter, and then continues to say the actual letter I typed.
	None of this strikes me as backwards-compatible behavior...Any
help here?
Thanks,
Zack.