Re:[emacspeak The Complete Audio Desktop] Web Interaction In Emacspeak

Hi Raman,

I realise that refactoring is probably going to introduce som instability at
first, so this is just to let you know of some of the issues I'm running into
with the latest svn snapshot.

1. w3m is giving a void function error when you try to run w3m. The problem is
that emacspeak-w3-speak-mode-hook is being called. Putting a require w3 at the
top of emacspeak-w3m.el seems to fix this.

2. another issue I've run into is related to
emacspeak-fix-interactive-command-if-necessary. I've not even looked at this
yet and am just mentioning it. However, I had to uninstall muse and planner
mode before I could get past startup failures . I first noted this on a testing
box at work where I had updated to the latest cvs version of emacs. at the
time, I thought it was most likely something to do with the latest cvs version
of emacs and didn't look further. However, I'm seeing a similar error now at
home with my emacs 22 version (built from source).

3. finally, I'm getting errors with the latest VM version which I'm not getting
if I stick with the older emacspeak cvs snapshot.

I mainly wanted to alert you to the w3m issue and the need for a require. The
other points are just reference. I'll try to look at these in more detail next
weekend. I didn't think the need to just add (require 'w3) to emacspeak-w3m.el
justified a patch.

Just for reference, the emacspeak CVS snapshot which is working fine is from
the end of June (Revision 4678. The one giving me problems is from today, and
is revision 4959. Same version of emacs in both cases
GNU Emacs 22.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.12) of 2007-06-21 on
lion
I've also done a make clean and rebuilt both emacspeak snapshots, just in case
the problem was due to updates in other packages.

Tim

T. V. Raman writes:
 > Users running out of SVN will have noticed that the emacspeak codebase
 > has seen a significant number of updates over the last couple of weeks.
 > During this time, I've refactored the Web interaction code in Emacspeak
 > to meet the following goals:
 >
 > - All Emacspeak Web smarts have now been re-factored to be independent
 > of any given Web browser. In practice, this avoids code duplication
 > between W3 and W3M support.
 > - The interface to XSLT has been significantly improved.
 > - When using W3, Emacspeak automatically builds a cache of CSS
 > classnames and ids occuring on the page. These are then used to provide
 > interactive completion when invoking commands emacspeak-extract-by-id
 > (bound to e i in Web pages) and emacspeak-we-extract-by-class (bound to
 > e c in Web pages).
 > - Module emacspeak-we holds all code related to editing Web pages
 > before they are displayed.
 > - Module emacspeak-webutils holds all Web utility code.
 > - Atom and RSS feeds are now pulled using Emacs-22 built-in library url
 > rather than via libxslt. This has the advantage that the feeds are
 > pulled with any cookies the browser may have set during the session.
 > - All url templates, search wizards and related Web utilities should
 > now be capable of working similarly under W3 and W3M.
 > - Module emacspeak-moz provides a basic level of integration with
 > Firefox --- see my related blog post on FireBox.
 > - Module emacspeak-w3m still needs work to take advantage of all of
 > these changes; I myself do not use W3M much, so those updates will
 > happen as and when W3M users contribute the necessary time and patches.
 >
 > --
 > Posted By T. V. Raman to emacspeak The Complete Audio Desktop at
 > 7/24/2007 07:32:00 AM
tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.