Customize problem

I've been looking into the problem with customize not providing an option to
save changes when you activate the "state" button. As part of this, I've
encountered another problem which also appears to be emacspeak specific.

I tried running the command 'describe-text-properties' with point on the state
button and got the following backtrace -

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (args-out-of-range 32 57)
  count-lines(57 32)
  tpu-current-line()
  ad-Orig-newline(nil)
  newline()
  describe-text-properties-1(454 #<buffer *Help*>)
  describe-text-properties(454)
  call-interactively(describe-text-properties)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

I believe the problem here is that the first argument to count-lines is
supposed to mark the start of the window, but it is greater than the second
mark, representing the currunt location of point. Of course, this can't be
correct - point can't be before the start of the window.

What I think is happening is that window-start is returning the position in the
buffer at which the display starts, but point is returning the position
relative to the start of the display/window.

To try and confirm this, I tried the same command with the display and
beginning of the buffer being the same - that is, the first character in the
buffer is the first character displayed. When I do this, the backtrace is not
generated. However, if I just scroll the display down by one line, so that the
beginning of the display starts with the second line of the buffer, then the
backtrace is thrown when you put the cursor on the state button and call describe-text-properties.

I tried this without emacspeak running and there was no error thrown. However,
I can reproduce this problem everytime with emacspeak loaded. The odd thing is
that it doesn't look like any of the functions involved have been advised
except for a call to newline right at the start, so I can't understand why
emacspeak would have any impact.

could anyone else who is running from the SVN version of emacspeak and running
emacs 22 see if they can get the same results, especially if they have also
observed the lack of a save option when trying to save changes to a custom item?

Note that I've also found that the global 'save for future sessions' button at
the top of customize buffers still works, so you can change/save your options
using that button. Its only when you try to save your changes to an individual
custom item by clicking on the state button that you don't get the option to
save and so cannot save changes to an individual item.

This is what I did to generate the backtrace.

1. Run customize-face and select a face to operate on. I chose
minibuffer-prompt.
2. Make sure the window has scrolled down by at least one line so that the
first line shown in the window is not the first line of the customize buffer.
3. Put the cursor somewhere on the state button
4. Do a M-x describe-text-properties

and see if you get the backtrace thrown. You need to have debug-on-error set
(use toggle-debug-on-error).

If you do get the backtrace, try again, but this time, make sure the first line
in the window is also the first line of the customize buffer. When you do this,
you shouldn't bet a backtrace, but instead a window showing the text properties
associated witht he state button widget.

Note that I tried this under both X and the linux console with both emacspeak
loaded and with it unloaded. I was only able to reproduce the error with
emacspeak loaded. I'm running emacspeak version 26.0 revision 5064M, but also
noticed it with the version I had yesterday. I'm running emacs 22.1.50.1 from
CVS, but got the same behavior with the Debian emacs 22 package.