installing emacspeak with espeak as speach server on ubuntu

If anyone has step by step instructions for installing emacspeak with espeak as the speech synthesizer on ubuntu I’d appreciate it as I have no clue where to begin. Most of my unix experience has been with unix system services for z/OS where you simply modify the include path by modifying environment variables. From what I’ve figured out all the tcl dev packages install to subdirectories of /usr/include and /usr/lib. When I try the default make configure make emacspeak I get can not find tcl.h errors. The emacspeak packages included with ubuntu appear to be out of date, and do not give espeak as a speech server option at configuration time. Appreciate any help with this.