Re: Sometimes bad responsiveness with outloud and alsa 1.0.16

Hi Tim,

Thanks for testing. I posted an updated version of the patch (dated
2008-08-09). It will now only allow 1 callback per call to
eciSpeaking(). I believe this is the correct behavior given the
overall design of the speech server. It seems that with this
modification, a single dummy call to eciSpeaking() before calling
eciStop() is sufficient to ensure stability so long text chunks should
not be a problem anymore.

When tweaking parameters in .asoundrc, you should also include the
timeout of the select() system call in the outloud tcl script in the
function service. The default value is set with a period size of 256
samples in mind. The delay should probably not be too short, but
certainly not longer than the period time.

About the delays with utf-8 characters, I guess this is related to the
unicode patch. I am still working on this for emacs 23. I would expect
the following delays: The very first time a non-ascii character is
spoken in an emacs session, emacs loads the file with the character
names. This might lead to a noticeable delay. Secondly, if a line is
read that contains many different special characters that have not
been encountered in the current emacs session yet, their might also be
a very small delay the first time the line is read. The character
names are cached, so if the same special character is encountered
later, their should not be any delay. You can see this in the "hello"
file (\C-h h).

Could you give me an example of a webpage where you are experiencing the delay you describe?

Best regards, Lukas