Re: espeak voicing issue

Seems I hit the wrong button and replied personally.  Forwarding this to
the list

Chris Brannon <cmbrannon@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> I've been messing around a bit with espeak today and yesterday.  I've
>> discovered that any voice with a richness setting of zero is not
>> spoken.
>
> I can verify this.  If you listen to the sampler, you hear that volume
> is a decreasing function of richness, with richness 0 corresponding to 0 volume.

This is the case with espeak, but not with outloud.

>> Also, sometimes lines I move point to do not speak immediately.  If I do
>> C-e l I get the first part of the line (maybe four or five words)
> You may be working too fast for the synth.  I notice some annoyingly long
> pauses at various points.
> Out of curiosity, what version of ESpeak are you using?

eSpeak text-to-speech: 1.38  22.Aug.08

Very new.  Perhaps a downgrade to an earlier version will make a
difference?  Do you see a intermittent problem with voice locking there?
Sometimes the default voice is used when something else should be, like
comment blocks and such.

>> 1.  Does anyone else find the character echo unusable?
>> Turning off word echo seems to help a little.
>
> Well, I'm not having too much trouble with character echo, but I sometimes
> notice a bit of a stutter when word echo is enabled.  For instance, the last
> sentence contained the word "notice'.  When I pressed space to end the word,
> ESpeak said nuh notice ... just as a stutterer might!

Yes, I've seen this as well.  I've been pretty forgiving concerning
espeak and sound "glitches".  I've been using outloud almost exclusively
for quite a while.  Save for the segfaults, I couldn't really ask for
more.  I find the quality to be as good or better than any other tts
sample I've heard.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

Everybody is given the same amount of hormones, at birth, and
if you want to use yours for growing hair, that's fine with me.