[Chris Brannon] Re: espeak voicing issue

I'm sending this on to the list since my error caused this to be a
personal reply.

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Very new.  Perhaps a downgrade to an earlier version will make a
> difference?  Do you see a intermittent problem with voice locking there?
> Sometimes the default voice is used when something else should be, like

Right.  Also, the voice parameters sometimes become "wedged".  I've
seen ESpeak lock itself into one of the very low-volume configurations.
I have to turn up the headphones to understand it.
Emacspeak controls the voice by sending SSML tags to ESpeak, and
this may be part of the problem.  Perhaps the SSML isn't
well-formed?

> Yes, I've seen this as well.  I've been pretty forgiving concerning
> espeak and sound "glitches".  I've been using outloud almost exclusively

I use ESpeak with Speech Dispatcher, and it works like a charm.  Part of
the problem must be the interaction between Emacspeak, the TTS server, and
ESpeak.  The chain seems just a bit too sluggish.

Outloud is great, but I can't seem to make it work well on my system.  Too
many issues with ALSA.  I've been using the EFlite server for 3 years or
so, and that works fine.

-- Chris

--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

Ernest asks Frank how long he has been working for the company.
	"Ever since they threatened to fire me."