New to Emacspeak and Emacs

Hi fellow list members,
I' new to Emacs and Emacspeak in general.  Currently, I have the
prepackaged Debian distribution of Emacspeak 28.0 and its associated
dependencies.  What's strange is that when you install Emacspeak from the
package repos, it installed Emacs 21, which is no longer the default
version.  perhaps it should simply be tagged with tag::works:with:Emacs21,
because if Emacs 22 is installed Emacspeak will function perfectly well.
Their will be, however, a time when Emacs21 is removed from the archives.
Also, on this particular box, I ran emacpseakconfig as root and selected
Espeak as the Emacs speech server, however, it doesn't work at all.  I do
have my user account aded to group Audio and Dialout and can verify that I
do indeed have write permissions to the /dev/audio (not sure if that
device exists on X86, but do know that it does on SunOS (Sparc Sun4u).
Anyways, back to my original topic.  This box is running Sid with all the
required updates and as of now, 2.6.20-custom kernel.  The only
modifications I made was to build Speakup into the kernel.  I can,
however, verify that Espeak functions perfectly.  e.hg. if I pipe some
text to the espeak binary, we do get speech.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  I think emacs and Emacspeak will be an excellent compliment
to my daily tools.  Note that I am not at all new to Unix-based operating
systems.  Before I used Linux, I used Irix as well as SunOS 4.X.  Just a
little information about myself.  I look forward to meeting all of you.

Regards,
Erik

eheil@xxxxxxxxxxx