Re: unicode editing

Hi John,

check the emacspeak mail list archives. Raman posted a message quite
recently regarding changes in the latest version of emacspeak and the
handling of unicode. It includes details of the unicode.txt file and how to
set it up. I suspect the site you have found has information that is a
little outdated.

The other thing to consider is upgrading to emacs 23. A lot of work has
been done since emacs 22 to improve how emacs deals with multibyte
characters/unicode. You will likely get the best results if you run emacs
23 and a recent version of emacspeak. Emacspeak has been updated to work
best with emacs 23.

Debian has an emacs23 package in the unstable archives. For ubuntu, there
is a PPA for emacs23 and it will likely be included in the new version
(scheduled for release this month). You can also build from CVS sources,
but you need to make some modifications if you want to also use
debian/ubuntu elisp packages.

Tim

John Morgan writes:
 > I found a site that says to add these lines to my .emacs
 > '; set unicode data file location. (used by what-cursor-position)
 > (let ((x "~/Documents/emacs/UnicodeData.txt"))
 >   (when (file-exists-p x)
 >     (setq describe-char-unicodedata-file x)))
 >
 > I'm still getting an emacspeak-speak-char-name error that refers to ucs-names.
 > symbol's function definition is void: ucs-names
 > and emacspeak is silent when I type c-e c or c-f or c-b or m-f or m-b.

 > On 10/15/09, John Morgan <johnjosephmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > > The variable default-enable-multibyte-characters was the problem.  I
 > > just deleted the line where I had set it to t in my .emacs file and
 > > I'm back to the behavior I had previously.
 > >
 > > This behavior is not ideal.  The multibyte characters get read as hex
 > > values when I move up or down lines with c-n or c-p, but not with  m-f
 > > or m-b or c-f or c-b.  I was hoping this would have been improved in
 > > the latest version of emacspeak.
 > > Should I set the describe-char-unicodedata-file variable?
 > > John
 > >

 > > On 10/15/09, John Morgan <johnjosephmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >> Robert,
 > >> I've inserted the utf-8 related variables in my .emacs file and I
 > >> still have the problem.  I wonder if it's an espeak problem?
 > >> The weird thing is that I can't delete the multibyte characters, it's
 > >> a nightmare, they're indestructible.
 > >> I don't think espeak would cause this behavior.
 > >> I'm running version 22 of emacs.
 > >> John

 > >> --
 > >> Regards,
 > >> John J Morgan
 > >>

 > > --
 > > Regards,
 > > John J Morgan
 > >

 > --
 > Regards,
 > John J Morgan

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.