Re:Emacspeak outloud server on Debian Lenny

Rob,

note that the emacspeak servers switched from using extended TCL to normal
tcl a couple of months back. This means that the program than needs to run
is tclsh and not tcl. This would be why you had to set the symlink.

Check that you don't have the TCL_PROGRAM environment variable set to
/usr/bin/tcl and then check your startup scripts etc in case you still have
something hanging around that is making emacspeak think it has to run the
outloud server with tcl rather than tclsh.

I can tell you that it does work. I started with a ubuntu running lenny
the vibuntu image in fact, which is what vinux was called before ubuntu got
precious regarding their brand name!). I then did a distribution upgrade to
jaunty and will possibly upgrae to karmic when I get around to it. I'm
running karmic on a fresh non-vinux box at work.

The only problem I had was with libtool and that has since been fixed by
Raman. So, my guess is that either there are some old settings you have
that make emacspeak look for tcl rather than tclsh.

HTH

Tim

Rob Hill writes:
 > Hello list,
 >
 > I'm having trouble getting the outloud server to work on a  clean
 > install of debian Lenny- or actually vinux, which is a way of getting
 > an accessible debian install.
 >
 > So I'm running:
 >
 > debian lenny
 > emacspeak 31.0
 > emacs 23.1.1
 >
 > The espeak server built fine, and emacspeak works with espeak.
 > Outloud (from Voxin) works with orca fine.
 >
 > The linux-outloud server compiled OK once I'd installed
 > libasound2-dev.
 >
 > >From the servers directory,  $ ./outloud speaks the welcome message,
 > "via voice using alsa"  I had to add the line:
 >
 > export ECIINI=/var/opt/IBM/ibmtts/cfg/eci.ini
 >
 > to my .bashrc file to get this to work.
 >
 > >From the servers directory, $ tcl outloud didn't work until I aliased
 > tcl to tclsh, but now it does.
 >
 > So all the outloud tests appear OK, but when I try to change to it
 > with emacspeak running, I get the message "process speaker not
 > running".   The same happens if I try to set outloud as the default
 > tts for emacspeak.
 >
 > Any suggestions welcomed.
 >
 > Rob

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.