Progress with AsteR installation

Jason,

First off, congratulations on getting things working.

As you learn your way around the code, make sure to use what you
have working; if it can read the test document, it should read
most TeX/LaTeX  content.

Things to play with:

1. Emacs Calculator

You can have the emacs calculator output results in TeX, and use
AsTeR to read them --- there is a helper file in the code that
you load (elisp) -- then hit 'rp' in calc to "read previous"

2. If you have LaTeX  content with new author defined macros --
try writing your own object definitions and reading rules, you
can start as all programmers do -- namely take existing code,
copy it, and modify it till it works.

3. For getting AsTeR  working with other TTS  engines, proceed in
small steps:

Given that you have a DecTalk Express, first  write some code to
AsTeR talk to the DecTalk Express, but using the Emacspeak TCL
server. This should be relatively easy, since Clisp can fork a
sub-process -- so launch tcl from clisp and just write to the
output stream --- you essentially have lsip print out tcl server
commands.

2. Once you have that working, you're half way there -- then,
look for example at outloud-voices.el --- and based on that,
create code in AsTeR that defines the points in speech space for
that synthesizer.

And having a git repos is good, this way you can back out changes
that break, and eventually send me a working patch. Look forward
to it, and hope you have a lot of fun getting there.

Finally, dont use environment variables to tell the code where
the files are located. In the emacspeak distribution, look at how
emacspeak-directory is defined, it's  a useful elisp idiom to
learn  e since it figures out itself where in the filesystem it's placed.

--Raman

Email			:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx :ã
WWW			:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ : â
       GTalk		: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx : â
PGP			:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc : â
Google			: tv+raman  :  ?
IRC			:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs : â
BRL:	ââââââââââââââ	: â