emacspeak-gnus and emacs 24

Thanks Raman.

Actually, you just made my day. Despite always trying to improve my elisp
skills, I'm rarely confident that I've got it right! However, in this
particular case, I am pleased to say that I've already done exactly what you
outlined with one possibly minor exception. At the top of the file, I had

(unless (boundp 'gnus-article-buffer)

rather than

(unless (symbolp 'gnus-article-buffer)

Is there any reason you suggest symbolp rather than boundp? My choice of boundp
was because I thought it would only return t if the symbol was defined and
bound to a value while symbolp could return t if the symbol was defined but not
bound to anything.

The backwards compatibility issue is less of an issue anyway as it turns out this
variable is already in emacs 22 and if I remember correctly, emacspeak isn't
compatible with emacs 21 anymore anyway.

wrt your point about emacspeak-gnus needing a maintainer. For the short term,
I'm happy to put my hand up to try and keep it working, but I may be a little
slow to respond to issues as I've allowed myself to be dragged into the VM
development team, am still working on documentation of the emacspeak tts stuff
and want to try and find time to tweak org-mode support a bit as it has become
fundamental to my job.

Tim

T.V. Raman writes:
 > 1: Backward compatibility with emacs 22 is not a major
 > consideration
 >
 > 2. Emacspeak in svn is pretty much built against emacs 24 out of
 > git --- and I try to keep support for emacs 23.
 >
 > 3. For this particular case:
 >
 > A: s/*article*/gnus-article-buffer
 > B: ensure that gnus-article-buffer is added to relevant (declare
 > (special ...) forms
 > C: at the top of the file, add the following check:
 > (unless (symbolp 'gnus-article-buffer)
 > (defvar gnus-article-buffer "*article*"
 > "For bckward compatibility with earlier versions of gnus"))
 >
 > 4. I've not used gnus in a long time, so emacspeak-gnus.el needs
 > a maintainer -- I'll review patches and check them in if they're tested.
 > --
 > Best Regards,
 > --raman
 >
 > --
 > Best Regards,
 > --raman
 >

 > On 9/7/10, Tim Cross <theophilusx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > > Hi All,
 > >
 > > I've fixed the problem with emacspeak-gnus under emacs 24. The fix turned
 > > out
 > > to be fairly trivial. All references to "*Article*" need to be replaced
 > > witht
 > > the variable gnus-article-buffer.
 > >
 > > I've verified this variable is available in emacs 23. However, I don't
know
 > > if
 > > it is available in emacs 22. I'd like to know if it is or not as this will
 > > impact on how I implement the patch to keep backwards compatibility.
 > >
 > > If anyone out there is stil running emacs 22 and uses gnuse, could you
 > > please
 > > let me know. To verify this, after running gnus, do a describe-variable on
 > > gnus-article-buffer.  Let me know what you find.
 > >
 > > Raman, I'm assuming you will continue to support emacs 22 in the next
 > > release.
 > > If this is not the case, could you let me know?
 > >
 > > thanks,
 > >
 > > Tim
 > >

 > > --
 > > Tim Cross
 > > tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
 > >
 > > There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
 > > understand and those who do not understand what they manage.

Information Technology
University of New England
 Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
Mobile: 0428 212217
   Fax: +61 2 6773 3424
E-Mail: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
---

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a
touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite direction.
                                                           âAlbert Einstein