Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:00:09 +0100
To: William Hubbs <w.d.hubbs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: emacspeak greader patch
From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> I believe this patch is going to be applied upstream, but can you
> please respond to the author's message below and explain why it was
> required?

> ----- Forwarded message from "T.V. Raman" <tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx> -----

> Not sure why this patch is needed for emacs 24, emacs 24 is what
> I'm using, and I haven't needed it. It looked benign enough, but
> I'd like an explanation as to what he thought was broken in emacs 2.

Hi,

the problem is that file lisp/g-client/greader.el contains a spurious
"e" after the variable definition of greader-contents-rest-url, which
makes byte-compilation fail.

The problem appears only with Emacs from BZR. It wasn't noticed
with previous Emacs versions, because these used to define a global
variable "e" (for Euler's number, 2.71828...). This variable was
renamed in the BZR version in September this year.

Kind regards
Ulrich