[SPAM?] Re: [slightly OT] pulseaudio, Orca, and Emacs

Just support Raman's point here. You can even have emacs start in
daemon mode as part of your login process and then just use
emacsclient whenever you want to use emacs - either from within X or
from the console.

I also have the following in my profile

EDITOR='emacsclient -c '
export EDITOR

VISUAL='emacsclient -c'
export VISUAL

TEXEDIT='emacsclient -c +%d +%s'
export TEXEDIT

ALTERNATE_EDITOR=''
export ALTERNATE_EDITOR

The last one is quite important. If you have alternate_editor set to
'' i.e. null, then if you run emacsclient and there is no emacs daemon
running, one will be automatically started for you. The other three
are nice to ensure programs which use an editor default to using emacs
via emacsclient.

Tim

T. V. Raman writes:
 > If you're running both on the text console and the X desktop,
 > then make sure you dont run two emacs sessions;  instead, start
 > emacs as a daemon -- do emacs --daemon and then start emacsclient
 > where you want emacs.  This means you'll be able to share all of
 > your context between the graphical desktop and the text console.
 >     Christopher> I use this work around when using Speakup in a
 >     Christopher> console, but actually, I've been running Emacs
 >     Christopher> more and more on the desktop. I like the
 >     Christopher> integration between the clipboard and kill
 >     Christopher> ring. BTW, is there a way to easily copy thing
 >     Christopher> between Emacs running in a console and an
 >     Christopher> application on the desktop?
 >     Christopher>
 >     Christopher> On 04/15/2013 08:37 AM, Josà Vilmar EstÃcio de
 >     Christopher> Souza wrote:
 >     >> At least for me the solution is login in the console using
 >     >> a login different than the login used in X.
 >     >>
 >     >> After that you can 'su' to your X login if desired.
 >     >>
 >     >>
 >     >> On 04/15/2013 10:12 AM, Bill Dengler(Ubuntu) wrote:
 >     >>>
 >     >>>
 >     >>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 >     >>>
 >     >>> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
 >     >>> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
 >     >>> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
 >     >>> "unsubscribe" or "help".
 >     >>>
 >     >>>
 >     >>
 >     Christopher>
 >     Christopher> -- Christopher (CJ) chaltain at Gmail
 >     Christopher>
 >     Christopher> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 >     Christopher> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change
 >     Christopher> your address on the emacspeak list send mail to
 >     Christopher> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject
 >     Christopher> of "unsubscribe" or "help".
 >
 > --
 > Best Regards,
 > --raman

IT Security Manager
Information Technology
University of New England
 Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
Mobile: 0428 212217
E-Mail: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
---

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a
touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite direction.
                                                           âAlbert Einstein