Blind software engineers, specifically UML

Hi everyone,

Firstly apologies if this is slightly OT - feel free to respond off
list if you think that's better, but I know there are a lot of very
knowledgeable people on here so thought it was a good starting point.

At University I'm studying computer science. I'm looking to take a
software engineering subject called "Introduction to software
engineering".

The problem: UML diagrams are heavily used throughout this subject
especially for assessment purposes. Specifically, UML class diagrams and
UML state active and sequence diagrams. We'll need to both read and
create these diagrams. I also believe we may need to work in small
groups with fellow students (who obviously aren't vision
impaired). Apparently the UML is the language of the subject and it's
not really avoidable. So does anyone have any ideas about how to handle
this sort of thing? I'd be interested to hear what other blind software
engineers may do to get around these problems.

Finally, just a bit of a general sort of question. I'm currently
studying bachelor of computer science, but have considered changing into
bachelor of software engineering. I've been told software engineering is
much more visual - with more of this UML stuff coming up. Has anyone
else taken a modern software engineering degree opposed to computer
science - and how did you find it?

Thanks for any advice!

Best regards,
Daniel