Re: Almost decent working standard packaged emacspeak/eflite on Debian 7.2

I use Orca on the graphical desktop all of the time, so I obviously don't find it utterly useless.

Compiling eSpeak to use PulseAudio or the runtime option is pretty straightforward. You just make one change in the makefile and then run a few make commands. It's all documented in the readme. I've never removed PulseAudio from a system, so I don't know what's involved with that, so I don't know if that's a path of greater resistance or not. You also may not even need to recompile eSpeak. Vinux 4 ships with an eSpeak that's already compiled to use the runtime option, this means it uses PulseAudio if it's there and PortAudio otherwise. Debian may now compile eSpeak this way as well.

BTW, I'm running Vinux 4, and I found it painless to install and start using.