Re: rmail-fetch-field

Hi Jarek,

I would strongly recommend you consider either Gnus or VM for mail rather than rmail. Although there have been some improvements ro rmail over the years, I see frequent posts from people who find getting it to work well with modern email requirements quite challenging. Both Gnus and VM seem to have better support for handling MIME and other useful extensions.

There are two downsides with both gnus and vm initially. I have used gnus and it works really well. However, gnus requires a bit of a paradigm shift in how you think about and use mail. It also requires quite a bit of configuration to get it 'just right'. However, for those who put in the effort, they tend to become total converts and love it.

VM is what I used for years and years. It probably has the best emacspeak support of all. The downside was that for a while it wasn't well maintained. However, Uday Reddy has been doing a good job of this for the last few years. However, you need to install the latest beta version from the launchpad repository. I used VM and its support for IMAP with Gmail quite successfully. Again, it will take some tweaking to get just right, but out of the box it works pretty well. One of the nice things about VM is that the mailboxes it uses to store messages are quite simple and can easily be read as just text. Some of the other mail packages are not so simple. This can cause problems when you want to change systems etc.

Probably the most critical things I can suggest is to focus on a setup which uses IMAP rather than having a setup which only maintains mail locally - what I would call the 'old' model for mail. Once upon a time, I use to run my own mail server, use fetchmail etc. These days, I just leave all of that to google or my work and simply use emacs to read and send mail. I find this fits in with the more modern approach where we all have multiple devices, smartphones etc.

good luck

IT Security Manager, Information Technology
University of New England
Armidale N.Sl.W. 2350

Email: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: +61 2 6773 3210