Re: different test results

Getting rid of pulseaudio is easier said than done on archlinux at least.

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015, Tim Cross wrote:

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 21:20:37
From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: emacspeak <emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: different test results

Yes, ALSA is the low level sound infrastructure. However, if your system is
using pulseaudio and either you use alsa utils (like aplay) rather than the
pulseaudio equivalents, such as paplay or you create an asoundrc file, you
can get all sorts of unexpected issues as well as reduced performance.

I've found pulseaudio works really well on modern distros, but if you
prefer to use alsa directly, your probably better off getting rid of
pulseaudio to avoid unwanted interaction between the two which may cause
inconsistent results with respect to audio