Re: A few questions on how Emacspeak handles text and long lines

Could we support the visual-line-mode? So that Emacspeak only reads the visible part of line? In text files, like books converted from .doc to .txt, long lines are frequent. Or this is not possible? I am currently on Windows, and I am using NVDA. So reading wrapped lines when arrowing looks natural for me.

Dňa 29. 6. 2015 o 4:00 T. V. Raman napísal(a):

"Victor" == Victor Tsaran <vtsaran@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
     Victor> Hi. I could not find any Emacspeak settings that
     Victor> could answer my questions below, so any help would be
     Victor> much appreciated.
     Victor>
     Victor> 1. I noticed that when Emacspeak encounters lines of
     Victor> certain length, it takes two or more presses of a
     Victor> down arrow to go through them, creating an impression
     Victor> of navigating through duplicate lines. Is there a way
     Victor> to change this setting? Also, why this behavior? Is
     Victor> there a historical reason for this?

The above is due to visual-line-mode which  got introduced  in
Emacs about 5 years ago. If visual-line-mode is turned on, long
lines are visually wrapped -- you should turn of visual-line-mode
since it provides little to no value when you cannot see the
screen.

     Victor>
     Victor> 2. When Emacspeak encounters characters, such as (,
     Victor> ), <, >, etc, it makes my TTS pronounce them as "left
     Victor> asterisk parent", "right asterisk parent", "greater
     Victor> asterisk than", etc. Again, is this intentional? If
Which engine? If Mac, Ask Bart or David.

     Victor> yes, then why?
     Victor>
     Victor> 3. When Emacspeak encounters a character repeated
     Victor> several times, say, 15 hyphens, it appends the "15
     Victor> dashes" with the word "awww", so the phrase sounds
     Victor> like "awww 15 dash". Why is this behavior? Is there a
     Victor> setting I am missing without having to go into the

That's something I originally  implemented based on IBM
Screenreader which is what I used before I impleemnted
Emacspeak.  The "aw" is just a nonsense phrase  that makes it
slightly easier to parse the utterance.
     Victor> source files?
     Victor>
     Victor> Thanks a lot and apologies if these have been asked
     Victor> before.
     Victor>