Localization - A maintenance question

Hi everyone,

Looking at a discussion on the Emacs developers list:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-07/msg00513.html

I am realizing that Emacs is not localization-ready. I understand the reasons, but would like to ask you guys:

Localizing the entire Emacs and Emacspeak universe of strings is certainly a huge job, but what about a sub-set of that?

For example, org mode and a few of the other major modes. is that feasible without creating an unmanageable mess whenever there is a new version out?

Thanks,

Fernando