[Emacspeak] Re: Getting Started

Richard,

At first i found emacspeak difficult to configure. I didn't understand that emacspeak needed to have its speech servers inside the program configured and that usually there was a file in the home folder that needed to be there to give configuration information to emacs so emacspeak can perform its amazing works almost like a magician.

I wish I had a Linux Distribution like SLINT which is a Slackware distribution that has many screen readers and applications for the visually handicapped and also many languages.

If I had SLINT I would have been able to start using emacspeak much earlier. I highly recommend you download and install SLINT.  In the documentation you will find out how to "switch on" emacspeak and after switching it on, it's configured ready to use!  That's important especially for beginners, because it's all ready, you just have to use the "switch on" command as described in the SLINT docs.

Since I learned how to compile emacspeak and then configure the speech servers inside emacspeak, it's easy for me now to install emacspeak on other distributions like my favorite Debian. But it was a long learning process for me because I didn't know much.

Best wishes,

David