[Emacspeak] Re: Irritating Quail Bug

In that case I dont experience the problem you're seeing.

what I do:

C-\ then pick  one of the german variants then just type -- that vies
me a German keyboard.

Note that the keyboard layout changes to a german keyboard and you get
=C3=A4 etc on the keyboard directly.

Hendur Saga writes:
 >  Yes, I did, I've used C-\ for years now. toggle-input-method calls =
read-input-method-name which reads input-method-alist, all of which app=
ear to reference quail in one way or the other. Ergo, we're both using =
quail to some extent.
> [...]
google.com> wrote: =20
 > =20
 >  Hendur Saga <hendursaga(a)yahoo.com> writes:
 >=20
 >=20
 > Did you actually try what I suggested in my message=3F
 >=20
 > >> I've never used quail
 > >
 > > I'm not sure about that - AFAIK, it is the default for input metho=
ds.
 > > I know I've never explicitly set it. Perhaps you could double-chec=
k=3F

 > > According to here[1], apparently there's a more lightweight (and
 > > obscure) alternative to Quail called Robin. Since I have no presen=
 > > need for CJK input methods, I might look there. According to the
 > > copyright headers, Quail is still getting updates whereas Robin ha=
sn't
 > > been updated in over a decade, maybe because it doesn't need much
 > > activity, who knows.
 > >
 > > Does anyone here do multilingual reading or writing within Emacs t=
hat
 > > could chime in=3F I feel this is something of a niche of a niche.
 > >
 > > ~ Hendursaga
 > >
 > > [1] https://github.com/aadcg/emacs-yeis#rant-about-input-methods
 > >
 > > On Monday, February 21, 2022, 10:00:13 AM EST, T.V Raman
 > > <raman(a)google.com> wrote:=20
 > >
 > > Hendur Saga via Emacspeak <emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org> writes:
 > >
 > > I've never used quail -- but it's also not clear that quail in the=

 > > prefered emacs solution for this any more.
 > >
 > > When I do need to type French or German (admittedly rare) I typica=
lly
 > > use C-\> Hello Emacspeakers,
 > > toggle-input-method and pick the input method that I want=C2=A0 an=
d that
 > > works with no issues.
 > >
 > > From memory quail dates back to Emacs-20 and consequently feels pr=
etty
 > > ancient.=20
 > >

 > >> I have this really annoying bug in Emacspeak. Essentially I'm try=
ing
 > >> to input, say, German or French, and so naturally I'm using
 > >> input-method and Quail. It works fine, except Emacspeak is
 > > apparently
 > >> speaking out "key dash sequence" literally every time I try
 > > inputting
 > >> an accented character. I set up speech server logging and, sure
 > >> enough, it logged "key-sequence" as described. However, since it
 > >> wasn't logging to the messages buffer, I suspected it was "readin=
g"
 > >> that only from the echo area, because I could not see anything in=

 > > the
 > >> messages buffer, which was correct[1].
 > >>
 > >> My question is, what would be a good way to either 1) tell Quail =
 > >> never echo incomplete key sequences, or 2) tell Emacspeak to be
 > > quiet
 > >> for these messages (it appears there's an advice around
 > >> read-key-sequence that is called by quail-start-translation[2]). =
It
 > >> would also be nice if there was something like debug-on-message b=
ut
 > >> for messages sent to the echo area but not logged. Perhaps by
 > > ensuring
 > >> message-log-max doesn't get set to nil for some scope=3F=3F For t=
he
 > > first
 > >> option, I've already set both input-method-highlight-flag and
 > >> input-method-verbose-flag to nil, as well as
 > > emacspeak-character-echo.
 > >>
 > >> Regards,
 > >>
 > >> Hendursaga
 > >>
 > >> [1]
 > >>
 > > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/internationa=
l/quail.el=3Fh=3Demacs-28#n2060

 > >> [2]
 > >>
 > > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/internationa=
l/quail.el=3Fh=3Demacs-28#n1428

 > >> =5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F
 > >> Emacspeak mailing list -- emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org
 > >> To unsubscribe send an email to emacspeak-leave(a)emacspeak.org
 > >>
 >=20
 > --=20
 >=20
 > Thanks,
 >=20
 > --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
 > =E2=99=88 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1=C2=A0 =F0=9F=A6=AE
 >  =20
--=20

Thanks,

=E2=99=89 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  =F0=9F=A6=AE

--

Thanks,

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

|May 1995 - Last Year|Current Year|