getting rubbish out of ergo-braille and dtk-accent

Peter -

I suggest you try my emacspeak-ss package which is at the blinux ftp
site, at ftp://leb.net/pub/blinux/emacspeak/blinux, and on my web
page, http://www.mv.com/ipusers/vanzandt.  It includes an accent
server which will also support emacspeak-8.0.  (I have not built a
Debian package yet.)

The emacspeak-ss package includes a script find-ss to help figure out
which port the device is connect to.  The device does have to expect
9600 N 8 1 with software handshake, though.

Yes, you can use stty to change the parameters of any port, by
redirecting its stdin.  That's what the find-ss script and the server
do.

Small point: the environment variable is DTK_PROGRAM rather than
DTK-PROGRAM.  Could that be part of the problem?

                                - Jim Van Zandt