manuals?

Hi all,

Before I tell my guru to partition my disk and begin running Linux and
Emacs, can you folks recommend good manuals both on emacspeak and on Linux?
 I need, manuals that are clear and aren't too technical.  Is this possible?

I'm a learner by doing.  If I see code, I can duplicate it.  I don't want
to know why I am doing something before I do it.  I want to know afterward.
 I realize that I'm going to have to read manuals, much as I hate to.  But
would prefer them on disk, on the net or in braille.  I need to "see" what
I'm doing.  If I have it on disk or in ASCII, I can braille it.

what do you folks recommend?

Ann P.