Re: buffers and virtual memory

   If you habitually have 40 or 50 buffers open at a time, how much
   ram+swap space do you have on that system to be comfortable with that?

My main machine has 128 megabytse of RAM and 204M of swap.

But I also run Emacs on a test machine with 23M of RAM and 64M of swap.
Emacs usually does not take up more than 20 megabytes or so (this is
in X Windows).

In the past I have run Emacs on much smaller machines.  I am pretty
sure you could run a contemporary Emacs with as little as 8M of RAM.

In 1997, Noah Friedman <friedman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote some patches
to the old Emacs version 18.59 so he could build it on a Linux/GNU