Emacspeak and PINE

Can someone please provide some help for me?
I am running emacspeak10.0 on my PC;
I use m-x term and then telnet to a main frame
that is running unix;
I can do everything just fine on that main frame except for the mail
program pine.  In pine,
I don't get spoken output, and I can't seem to use the arrow keys to
move around the screen to find out what the options are.

I hate pine anyway and am only forced to use
it because people send me encoded attachments that I only seem to be
able to decode using pine.
An alternate way for decoding such attachments would be a solution I
like just fine.
Thanks for your help.

Larry Baggett