Getting started with Linux etal.

Not sure if this message made the list.

Hello:
I'm getting prepared to set up a Linux operating system on my notebook.
I've got a few questions:
1st, I have an Accent SA speech synthesiser, which I'm planning to run off the serial port on my notebook, This will/should work right?
2nd, From what I've heard/read, I'll need some sighted help to set up Linux, is this right?

Finally, I'm planning to network my PC to the Notebook running Linux, I should be able to telnet straight into the notebook.
Thanks in advance.

If this message made it out, sorry about spamming.  haven't heard anything back so I thought I'd try again.