Important update of Emacspeak RPM's

T. V. Raman writes:
 > This is not clear.
 > I use w3-imenu all the time -- in fact
 > I was the one who contributed it --what problem does this
 >      expose in the emacspeak-setup file?

Sorry about the confusion; here's what I hope is a better
explanation.  When the w3-contrib package is installed, it adds a lien
to /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el that loads
w3-contrib-init.el (which I wrote).  That file loads w3-imenu.el.  So
w3-imenu, and therefore imenu, is loaded before Emacspeak.  Then, when
emacspeak-setup.el runs '(load-library "emacspeak")', the code in
emacspeak.el loads emacspeak-imenu.el, since the imenu package is
already loaded.  emacspeak-imenu requires emacspeak-speak, which
requires emacspeak-pronounce (by way of dtk-speak and dtk-tcl).  When
emacspeak-pronounce is loaded, it tries to refer to
emacspeak-resource-directory, which doesn't yet exist if we're using
the original emacspeak-setup.el file.  This results in an error and no
speech for the user until the problem is fixed on their system.  I
fixed this by moving the declaration of emacspeak-resource-directory
in emacspeak-setup.el before the '(load-library "emacspeak")' statement.

 > Note that it is considered "uncool"
 > to go ahead and "fix something" in open source software
 > without  checking with the author. All you do by the above
 > is to sow confusion

I will remember that and do better in the future.
 > the absence of /usr/spool/mail on redhat systems is also
 > a problem for the mspools package in emacs --a better fix
 >      (at least the one I use) is to symlink
 >      /usr/spool to /var/spool

That works, but it's not the right fix for the users I'm trying to
help with this RPM -- new users who don't know about symbolic links or
even the existence of /usr/spool and /var/spool.

--
Matt Campbell <mattcamp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Web site:  http://www.feist.com/~mattcamp/