Re: Read-whole-buffer command and cursor

W. L.> ... write a function which speaks a unit of text...

Timing is the problem.  Way back I implimented something like that but
it required doing timing loops on a given text and even then, somtimes
it would clip the end of one chunk as it began reading the next - or
it would pause just long enough that I was not sure if it was
finished, and then start reading again.

I have found the best solution is to devide the reading up into some
(text dependent) appropriate sized chunks.  Then read forward by these
chunks.  This can be done by using some markup already in the text or
by adding markup to the text.  Either way, you then are able to use
various built in fuctions to move through the chunks.  For fiction,
chapters are good.  For manuals, I like page or paragraph sized
chunks.  Your mileage may vary.

Greg

--
 Greg Priest-Dorman