Taking a deeper look at linux

Folks,

As part of some work I am doing on collaborative systems, my research
turned up this little gem that I thought some in this community would
appreciate despite it not being exactly on topic...

Pointer to an article on the evolution of Linux, introducing a theoretical
framework of evolution of complex adaptive systems:

>The March 2000 issue of First Monday (volume 5, number 3) is now
>available at
<<http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue5_3/>http://firstmonday.org/issues/issu
e5_3/>

>Table of Contents
>
>---
>
>Linux: A Bazaar at the Edge of Chaos
>by Ko Kuwabara
>
>This paper establishes a context for the work of Eric Raymond and his
>description of the Linux phenomenon, by examining the emerging science of
>complex adaptive systems pioneered by John Holland, Christopher Langton,
>Robert Axelrod, among others. Raymond's evolutionary view is given an
extended
>and more formal treatment under the terms of chaos and complexity, and chaos
>and complexity under the terms of sociology. In addition, this paper presents
>an ethnographic account of Linux, amassed from a series of electronic mail
>interviews with kernel developers. These interviews examine Linux as a social
>phenomena, which has prompted wide interest and become a subject of heated
>discussion.
>
> http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue5_3/kuwabara/

Enjoy,

Jim

James A. Rebman

Coleman Intelligence Augmentation Project
Center for Life Long Learning and Design
Department of Computer Science
University of Colorado, Boulder

"In times of change, the learners will inherit the earth while the learned
will find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer
exists."

- Poster in a Cape Town, South Africa bank