Re: request information.

    TV> I'm forwarding your message to the emacspeak list --hopefully
    TV> someone wil have the time to answer your questions and help
    TV> you out.

    Ed> Dear Raman, Could you give me information on emacspeak. Are
    Ed> there instructions available in Braille, or, tape?

Not that I know of.  All the instructions are available in on-line
help files and webpages. If you are already familiar with computing
and internet, you should have no trouble using the online help.  There
is a beginner's tutorial at http://emacspeak-guide.sourceforge.net

    Ed> Does the system sold in the stores come complete, or do I have
    Ed> to get the voice system separately?

If you have a DecTalk or one of the other supported, hardware voice
synths all you need is Linux and Emacspeak ... I believe Emacspeak is
included in a Mandrake kit.  There is also a pre-configured
distribution called ZipSpeak, but I have not used it; ZipSpeak is
designed to be installed by blind users and you can find out more
about it from the members of the BLinux Newbies mailing list
<blinux-newbie@xxxxxxxxxxx> (I have CC'ed them on this message and no
doubt someone there will correct and clarify my comments about this
package)

If you do not have a hardware voice synth, you can use software synths
like IBM ViaVoice or Festival, but you will need to obtain and install
these packages seperately.

    Ed> Am I correct in concluding that emacspeak is a screen reader
    Ed> like Window-Eyes?

Egad!  Glasphemy! Be gone demon!

Emacspeak is not a screen reader.  It is an audio desktop designed from
the ground up to be spoken, not seen.  There are a few rough edges which
require some visualization, but overall it is an audio desktop.  It does
not 'read' other applications but provides its own suite of tools for
programming, internet access and word processing.  Most (but not all)
packages designed for Emacs will work directly with Emacspeak.

For the rough edges, the Emacspeak community has developed many tools
for using other programs such as the RealAudio players and terminal
based programs like Pine.

    Ed> I am still struggling with Windows and the
    Ed> system keeps crashing on me. I would certainly like to get
    Ed> back to a dos based program.

If you liked DOS, you will be very comfortable with Emacspeak. If you
dislike unstable operating systems, you will love Linux.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@xxxxxxxxxxx>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
T(C)Inc Business Innovations through Open Source http://www.teledyn.com