[Q]completion policy

Thanks for pointing out the problem with speaking
completions when the completion gets shorter.

The present flaw is a bug --but not a design problem --just
an oversight.

You can fix this problem by making the advice on completion
commands smarter.

See the code in emacspeak-advice.el
where all those functions are advised.
As a specific example, look at the advice on command
minibuffer-complete

AT present you will see that the code there reflects the
behavior you are finding problematic.

You should be able to fix this by first copying over the
minibuffer contents to a temporary variable
--allow the completion to run (this is call ad-do-it in the
advice)
--and then check the size of the minibuffer contents.
If the contents are longer you should allow the present code
to do its work --if the contents are shorter you should
walk both strings to trim out the common prefix --and
finally speak the new contents
from the point at which it is different from the old.

Given that you've already been writing code I suspect you
have sufficient expertise to achieve the above --if you
still have trouble getting it written let me know.

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
PGP:    http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc