multiple emacspeak sessions and viovoice on laptops

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:53:14 +1100 (EST), RAYNER Peter
<ray060@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I wrote a couple of weeks ago about my attempts to get multiple
>emacspeak sessions talking through viavoice.  I think a fair bit of my
>thought at that stage was wrong so I should try again.
>Here's the set-up: emacspeak-12.0 on rh6.2 using the viavoice beta (is
>this still the only version for linux?) all running on a Dell
>CPIR-GT400.  Sadly this machine doesn't have multiplexed sound
>capability in hardware, a disadvantage in several respects.
>
>On this machine (I'll call it my-machine here) I can start two
>emacspeak sessions on two virtual consoles and switch between them.
>There's usually a delay as I do so.  I'm betting the speech-server
>dies and restarts each time, although the MESSAGES buffer doesn't
>*seem* to show this as universal.  Raman had mentioned to me there
>might be some timing issues.  Anyway it always comes back to life.
>
>Of course running two emacspeak sessions on the same machine isn't the
>most useful thing one can do.

You may have missed something there.

I've been hoping someone will put together the
pieces for a web browser that will go out and
find text, run it through a translator, output
it as interlinear with a cursor highlight for
each of the two lines simultaneously while speaking
one language in one ear time synchronized with the
other language in the other ear.

The idea would be to have the unit in a wearable in
a fanny pack where it could eighteen hours a day
provide the simul singing.

It is a complex problem that I have been thinking
about for a couple of decades.  I was going to call
it multi-lingual singing teacher, MLST, for short.

Good luck.