setting up w3 for eyes-free use

I am visually handicapped, and am setting up Linux and W3 having previously used Jaws and Windows.  I am using Slackware 7 Linux, GNU Emacs 20.7.2, and W3 4.0pre.46.

I would appreciate advice about how best to set up W3 for eyes-free use, in particular, how to set up W3 to read e.g. the columns (tables?)
 found in Britannica.com, in which the ordinary text is presented.  I have so far been unable to read this form of text.

Thanks,

Rob